Saturday, December 05, 2020

My brother Bill

 


This guy has been my friend longer than anyone else on the planet -- my twin brother, shown here at my oldest son's wedding with his incredible spouse, Felice.

He may not tell you how he feels about you but he'll show you, and God help you if you're not paying attention.

We were having coffee one day in Afton MN when he visited in 1997 and I casually mentioned I hoped to fly one day. He already had his pilot certificate.

He went back home and a few days later on our birthday, he called and said, "Happy Birthday, you start flight lessons tomorrow in St. Paul "

He prepaid them.

Flying changed my life for the better. He did that.

2011 photo


I marveled, during that coffee stop, at his easy way at making small talk with perfect strangers. I vowed to be better at it and, as a result, I became a writer known for telling stories of people whom I'd randomly meet. I made a good living and told good stories.

He did that, too.


No comments: